Years ago, Vince, I remember some test transmissions from the west coast
somewhere by RCI.  Then there was Radio For Peace International that had
land and planned a Canadian transmitter near Vernon, BC.  Never happened.
And the VOA site that almost happened near Port Angeles, WA, across the
water from me in Victoria.  There's still a VOA Way there now!  That was
from the late 40s/early 50s, I think.  You're right, of course.  It is in
Australia's interest to project their power in a very benign way, of
course, in the Pacific.  If not them, then it would be China.  I was amazed
on how many Chinese aid projects I saw in places like Tonga, etc!
 73,...Walt