My start was in Northern Wisconsin at a summer camp in 1951.  I lived in Des
Moines at the time and had an old Silvertone “portable” at camp.  One of my
tent mates was from the Chicago area, was a Cubs fan and wanted to see if we
could hear the games at night on WIND, 560.  Of course, then, we could hear
them at night like a local.  There were also a couple of others I heard during
the day (WLIN, 560,Merrill; WLBL, 930, Auberndale and WOBT, 1240, Rhinelander).
 When I returned to DM that summer, I wanted to see what I could hear on the
BCB and off I went!