Walt Salmaniw. was there also, perhaps he has better recollection. And, of course, there may well be files tucked away somewhere also.

best wishes,

Nick

At 02:06 2018-09-23, Chuck Hutton wrote:
Ditto for me. Below 900 kHz, I've never been anywhere near happy with a 160' DKAZ. That is evident with stand alone DKAZ'es and In direct comparisons with Beverages, there was no contest at all.

I wonder if the PEI group has done a comparison?

Chuck

________________________________
From: IRCA <irca-boun...@hard-core-dx.com> on behalf of Tim Tromp <kilok...@gmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, September 22, 2018 6:54 PM
To: Mailing list for the International Radio Club of America
Subject: Re: [IRCA] Michigan DUs, Sept.22, 2018

Nick,

For low band DUs like this, my phased BOGs work best.  They are aimed
roughly towards the northeast.  Phasing of course allows me to reverse the
direction and steer them towards the southwest, which I do for these DU
catches.  The DKAZ, when switched to the North, shows no trace of these
signals during A/B comparisons.  When I switch the DKAZ to the South, I may
see just the faintest carrier (if anything at all).

The situation is usually different at the top of the band.  The North DKAZ
is generally better than the BOGs when pulling in 4QD on 1548 and the low
powered Aussies on the X-band during those rare times that propagation is
good here.  Point being, it's good to have multiple antenna options!

73,
-Tim

On Sat, Sep 22, 2018 at 9:20 PM, Nick Hall-Patch <n...@ieee.org> wrote:

> I'm sure that you've mentioned this before Tim, but are you using a DKaz
> with a northerly bearing for these logs?   I think someone  mentioned that
> during the IRCA convention.
>
> best wishes,
>
> Nick
>

> At 01:05 2018-09-23, Tim Tromp wrote:
>
>> Not a bad morning to chase DUs from the Midwest.  576, 594, 612, 702, 738
>> all in with weak audio.  612, 702 & 738 all with Sydney Roosters rugby
>> match.  594 had a very faint trace of talk, and then a hint of music, but
>> much too weak to make a comfortable match against the ABC podcast.  3WV
>> seems very likely though.  As usual, signals peaked during LSR at 11:32
>> UTC
>> this morning and lasted until around 11:40 or so.  Strong carriers also
>> noted on 693, 729, and 747.
>>
>> 73,
>> Tim Tromp
>> West Michigan
>> Perseus SDR + Southwest phased BOGs
montreal.kotalampi.com
This group is for those interested in AM (Broadcast Band) DXing, sponsored by the International Radio Club of America (IRCA) To see the collection of prior postings to the list, visit the IRCA Archives.(The current archive is only available to the list members.Using IRCA

>> Opinions expressed in messages on this mailing list are those of the
>> original contributors and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the
>> IRCA, its editors, publishing staff, or officers

> Nick Hall-Patch
> Victoria, BC
> Canada

Nick Hall-Patch