Here's my (trivial) contribution. I'm mostly an LF NDB DXer and love to hear any Pacific beacons. I had room for a DKAZ and hadn't heard about the superiorities of longer horizontal length so put up the standard 140' DKAZ. Due to critters around, primarily javelina who will tear down anything in their path, my bottom horizontal wire lies on the ground. The ground in this S. AZ desert is mostly a thin layer of soil with rock underneath. My DKAZ points west and I use a Wellbrook FLG100LN preamp. I use a fixed 1200 ohm termination resistor and have not spent any time trying to optimize it. Experiments indicated the Wellbrook preamp was noticeably quieter for noise pickup than a matching transformer at the DKAZ and a preamp in the shack. I run about 550 feet of RG6 coax from DKAZ to shack--trying to get the DKAZ as much out of the fairly high local AC noise environment as possible. I also have a 900' E/W longwire which gives somewhat stronger LF Pacifics than the DKAZ however the east pickup deteriorates the S/N ratio such that the DKAZ even though somewhat lower level is almost always noticeably better S/N ratio on LF signals and is almost always clearly superior to the E/W longwire for Pacifics. I have not so far found a western LF signal that the E/W wire heard that couldn't also be heard on the DKAZ. Folks may have found the DKAZ is lower output the lower you go in frequency, but for my uses it is definitely not suffering from lack of LF performance, again when used with the FLG100LN preamp. I also try occasionally (if I'm determined to get up early enough) for MW Pacific signals, and the DKAZ is even better than the E/W longwire all over the whole MW band. At the top of the band, 1566 HLAZ is always better on the DKAZ, for instance. On times when DU expanded-band signals are heard, the DKAZ hears them when the longwire usually has no trace of them.

Especially for a permanent installation, it's a major job to erect a DKAZ; perhaps some day I'll see about possibly extending it to 160' horizontal or maybe longer if there's room. A lot of extra brush would need clearing, etc. A major job! But the current basic 140' DKAZ is working superbly for me for both western LF and MW reception.

73,

Steve AA7U

near Sahuarita, AZ