From: IRCA <irca-boun...@hard-core-dx.com> on behalf of Nick Hall-Patch
<n...@ieee.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 8:42 AM
To: Mailing list for the International Radio Club of America
Subject: Re: [IRCA] KAZ versus Pennant/Flag

For the coastal DXer, I think that the takeaway
from the presentation was that the really
important thing is not so much the response from
the two quadrants facing out over the ocean, but
rather, the two quadrants facing the domestic interference.

The DKaz has a narrower beam, but often the MW
DXer wants to hear whatever the conditions
deliver, whether it be New Zealand or Siberia, so
a narrow beam is not always an advantage.   But
ideally, don't you really want zero signal from
the two quadrants facing inland?  The DX is out
there, but in a realistic situation, often it is
hard to (impossible?) to read due to domestic splatter.

Where the DKaz really shines then is in those two
quadrants facing inland.  It delivers less signal
from those two quadrants than the Flag does, so the DX is more readable.

For an inland DXer, the narrower beam will be
more an advantage, because it will lessen
interference in the forward direction,  but
probably it is still better to place its back
side to minimize the overall interference level,
because the beam width is still wide enough to
inhale a fair bit of DX, .  Craig's 260 degree
proposed direction should be ideal for down
under, and still hear Japan pretty well with that
100 degree beam width.  Hopefully, it
incidentally nulls a lot of domestic interference as well.

Nick