After two trips to Kona, Hawaii (on the Big Island) my wife and I decided
to try a vacation on the "Garden Island" of Kauai. Craig Barnes has already
been here with his 5" Frequent Flyer FSL in April of 2017 ,and made out like a
bandit with lots of Asian DX in Princeville, on the north side of the island.

     Whereas Kona on the Big Island has a high mountain ridge which greatly
reduces the strength of North and South American stations, Poipu in Kauai has a
straight ocean shot to both areas, along with similar paths to both Asia and
the South Pacific. In DXing tonight it seemed like all four areas were coming
in at good strength, with 621 kHz having two S9 stations from two different
areas (621-Tuvalu and VoK's Japanese service) and 1440 kHz having the same
(Kiribati and JOWF). Fortunately the "Frequent Flyer" FSL can completely null
out one area or the other.

     To investigate some questions that were discussed recently among the
Northwest TP-DXing gang, I made a recording of 621-VoK's Japanese service at
0943, complete with a buzzing hum on the audio (which is more noticeable during
signal fades)  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/7d6eggmr9ntnfjej3zf22dh1s5p32wyd

There was also a question of the identity of the 783 "Chinese Opera" station.
At the 1000 TOH I was able to record the full Chinese ID, which hopefully
someone can decipher
https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/rcliqm4q1b9amlvmw11ofgfje6en66a2

Finally, I promised Chris Kadlec that I would investigate whether 801 kHz
really has a Seoul metro area jammer on the Pyongyang BS signal . Unfortunately
801 kHz had this monster UnID covering the frequency from 0910-0930 tonight,
which I think may be from the Philippines. Can anyone provide language or
station identification?
https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/mpi5eam5d93beb5hd0kne8y0x50h9zua

Anyway, Chris, I'll keep trying on the 801 jammer investigation. One thing
seems to be for sure here in Kauai-- the 819-KCBS and 981-CNR1 stations don't
seem to have the overwhelming strength that they did in Kona (at least not
tonight). But 783-China was at S9+ strength for much of the evening, when it
was pretty weak in Kona
https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/dsw1h8s4ilxq5mxpnd0bd67fte4wfifw   Go figure!

73 and Good DX,

Gary DeBock (DXing at Poipu Kai, Kauai, Hawaii for 6 days)

7.5" loopstick CC Skywave Ultralight + 5" Frequent Flyer FSL antenna