Thanks Nick,

<<< I suspect that some of the "second tier" Japanese advantage in
Victoria is on the second go round with the SDR files, Gary. A
better comparison would be with what Colin hears live with no
wideband recording to back him up. >>>

Yes, live DXing never seems to uncover the really weak ones, unless they are
"targeted." During Colin's live band scans I'm sure that the stronger Asian
stations make a good impression on him, and the same thing happens down here
with the stronger Chinese and Korean stations. But even with live DXing you
need to carefully "comb" the recordings later on, to find out if anything
exotic escaped your initial notice.

With the routine sunrise TP band checks here in Puyallup it's usually not
productive to carefully search the recordings for exotic weak TP stations, but
during "forward Pacific" trips to the Cook Islands and Hawaii many recordings
are always made on many different frequencies for detailed file review later
on. These recordings almost always have a bonanza of weak, exotic Asian
stations that never were noticed during the live DXing sessions. During the
vacations it's probably not a good idea to spend hours on detailed file review,
especially when your wife is eager to go snorkeling, or sample some Polynesian
dinners. This fact can even make an Ultralight DXer start to think like a
spectrum capture enthusiast.

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)