In my book I will use the ActiveRecord from Rails for most of the examples
because it will be the most well-known and I suspect the one where most
developers are curious about. I will show how to leverage some of the other
ORM's to show that there are other options available.

I think SubSonic is a safe option, it is endorsed by Microsoft and won't go
away anytime soon. I'm not that familiar with SubSonic yet but from what
I've seen, it's fairly easy to get started with. I don't know if it will
work with IronRuby because I haven't tried that. It's something I have
planned to look at next week.