On 07/01/11 20:07, Michael Norrish wrote:
On 7/01/11 8:05 PM, Alexander Krauss wrote:
But then we need a Marketing division to come up with a new name every 8
months :-}. Year numbers are very comfortable.

You either come up with a set of names to use, or just do what most
software projects do (commercial and open source both), and use numbers.
Does the gcc project have this problem? Does Linux? Does emacs?

Decide retroactively that everything up until this point was Isabelle 1,
and announce the release of Isabelle 2.

Or whatever set of numbers floats your boat...

Taking a page from a successful marketing campaign, we could also adopt a variation on the Ubuntu way of naming things, two numbers: year and month. So this would be Isabelle 10.01.

We can even add silly names like Anomalous Assumption, Bound Beta, Circular Coinduction, Dramatic Datatype, Epic Elimination, etc.

I thought this might be a bit too silly to send to the dev list, but a third party encouraged me to do so anyway :)

Rafal Kolanski.