I found the culprit.

In my ~/.hgrc I activated the option:
[ui]
tweakdefaults = True

"tweakdefaults" changes the behaviour of mercurial to output paths relative to
the current working directory instead of printing paths relative to the
repository root [1].

I can get the same behaviour in both cases if I pass the --cwd option to
mercurial.
<"${HG:-hg}" --config defaults.status\= --repository
/Users/mhaslbeck/Projects/isabelle --cwd /Users/mhaslbeck/Projects/isabelle
--noninteractive status --modified --added --clean --no-status>

[1] <https://stackoverflow.com/a/46743585
<https://stackoverflow.com/a/46743585>> (at the end of the answer)