Hi Folks,

I support 16 bits because of the following reasons.

For me it would make sense to align the Algorithm value to the "IGP Algorithm"
registry. This registry is defined in:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ospf-segment-routing-extensions-24#section-8.5

In my opinion, this is going to cover 90% of the use-cases because BIER is
defined to run over a unicast underlay, so what ever is done for Unicast, it
will work for BIER automatically (like Flex Algo), and avoids to duplicate
registries. However, this registry is also 8 bits. That means there is no room
for anything else and I already know there are different options about this.

To avoid an other long debate/fight over these 8 bits, lets get more bits now
so we don't corner our selfs. Its a minor change to the draft.

Lets not start a debate now on how BAR is used, as I'm sure we will not reach
agreement  in time and we're gonna delay the IGP drafts. We can start a
discussion after the IGP draft are through and what all the use-cases are we
need to cover. I already look forward to those discussions :-)

Thx,

Ice.

Sent from my iPad

On 15 Feb 2018, at 07:24, Jeff Tantsura