I think its clear from the discussion there are different opinions on the
matter on how to make BIER use the BAR field. The reason for me to support 16
bits is that everybody seemed ok go move forward with an 8bits BAR without a
registry, a 16bits BAR does not change anything, its just a bigger field. But
at least with 16bits, we can split in Type, Value, and support different
use-cases. IMO, pointing to whatever the Unicast underlay is providing is the
main use-case, but it allows other ways to do things.

One thing is clear, with just 8bits, it will be very hard to reach an agreement
what the registry would look like. If we make it 16bits, we know we can solve
multiple use-cases. The main question (I think) is whether we document how a
16bit BAR is carved up now, or we defer that to later. And as I said, since
everybody seemed ok with 8bit BAR without a registry, I don’t see why its now
different for 16bits. It gives us time to workout exactly how to use it and get
input from the WGs.

And, of course, the goal is to create a registry for the 16 bits through a new
draft!

Thx,

Ice.