From: BIER [mailto:bier-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of Tony Przygienda
Sent: Monday, February 19, 2018 6:20 PM
To: Dolganow, Andrew (Nokia - SG/Singapore) <andrew.dolga...@nokia.com>
Cc: BIER WG <b...@ietf.org>; IJsbrand Wijnands <i...@cisco.com>;
isis-wg@ietf.org list <isis-wg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Bier] [Isis-wg] BAR field length in
draft-ietf-bier-isis-extensions and draft-ietf-bier-ospf-extensions

My reaction to AD's options:
IF you prefer or can accept the current status, but think there should be an
IANA registry
as is usual for managing code-points, please say so.  No more justification is
needed.

+1 to this option, i.e. current status with IANA BIER BAR registry.

I think we have a clear and current case which is anchored already in the
architecture RFC as section 6.9

The draft https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-zzhang-bier-algorithm-00 goes into
more detail in this respect and I hope the draft being adopted and at least a
single BAR value being assigned to deal with brownfield deployments today where
not all routers support BIER.  This clearly necessitates a BIER BAR registry.

IF you prefer Option B, C, and/or D, please say so with your explanation.  More
technical depth than "'we might need it" would be helpful; the availability of
sub-TLVs already
provides future proofing.

+2 for Option B). Albeit we can meet future use cases with BAR subtype being a
sub-TLV a bar type/bar subtype 16 bits field (subtype with or without registry
and of course we can name those things differently) all sub-TLVs in IGPs are
traditionally “optional”, i.e. adding sub-TLVs later _may_ cause backwards
compatibility problems.  Defining the subtype today will allow us to specify
that only type/subtype 0/0 is well defined & any unknown type/subtype
combination must be avoided. The subtype will allow for BAR 0 or future BAR
types to understand that subtype is in a sense a “mandatory sub-TLV” and the
routers sending out such subtype must be avoided, even if the type itself is
known.  Several possibilities come to mind immediately such as using Unicast
IGP Algorithm Registry as subtype for certain BAR values or accommodate
interesting, future work like Flex Algo into BIER right after IGP RFCs are
available which IMO would present a very beneficial future direction for BIER
technology cleanly governed by a BIER BAR registry.
PS: I think we should control the urges of workgroup participants to explore
the number of letters in the roman alphabet that we can use to introduce their
preferred solutions if we want to get to some kind of consensus on this thread.
PPS: Option E has been discussed in the last 16-bit thread to the point of
logical conclusion of a "all routing protocols under the sun algorithm
registry" and found to  be a rathole I thought ...

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 6:09 PM, Dolganow, Andrew (Nokia - SG/Singapore)