Title: Knowledge

In the Name of Almighty Allah
Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

Assalamualaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuhu

       Alhamdu Lillaahi Rabbil 'Aalameen was Salaatu was
       Salaamu 'alaa Ashrafil Ambiyaa'e wal Mursaleen.

Wa Ba'd:

It is said that knowledge is power, yet it has turned a deaf ear to the warning that "Knowledge is the greatest of veils" and if we do not plant it while young, it will give us no shade when we grow old. Knowledge is two-fold, and consists not only in an affirmation of what is true, but in the negation of that which is false. One who lacks knowledge has nothing but surmise and conjecture to guide him or her. But surmise and conjecture cannot be true guides on the path of humanity. The greatest misfortune of those who do not authentically and sincerely seek knowledge is to follow the blind guide of conjecture.

Like knowledge, ignorance also has various forms and levels. The greater our knowledge increases, the greater our ignorance unfolds. The more I read, the more I meditate; and the more I acquire, the more I am enabled to affirm that I know nothing. Any piece of knowledge I acquire today has a value at this moment exactly proportioned to my skill to deal with it. Tomorrow, when I know more, I recall that piece of knowledge and use it better.

It is said that the teacher of knowledge among you receives the reward of the student and has a merit over the latter. So seek knowledge from its possessors and teach it to those all around you in the same way as the learned taught you. We are instructed to seek knowledge and to adorn it with forbearance and dignity. Be humble to those who you teach and to those from you you learn. Don't be tyrannical in your teaching conduct, for you will forfeit that to which you are entitled on account of it. It is reported that our Beloved Nabee Sallallahoo Alayhi Wasallam said:

"Of the believers that die, the death of none of them
is so much loved by Shaytaan as the death of a learned
scholar in the Din."

And he is also reported to have said:

"I forbid you from two qualities which destroy men:
don't worship Allah with false (doctrines) and don't
give out legal verdicts [Fatwa's] to people about
something you do not know."

The one who gives legal verdicts to people without knowledge and guidance is cursed by the Malaa'eeka of [Divine] mercy and [Divine] chastisements, and on him or her rests the burden [of the sins] of those who act upon such verdicts. Be honest with yourself and with all those around you. Tell [the people] what you know, and when you don't know say: "Almighty Allah knows best." It happens that someone singles out a verse from the Most Holy and Noble Qur'an [ interpreting it in isolation from the rest of the Holy Heavenly Book] deviating in it [from the truth] to an extent greater than the distance between the heaven and the earth.

Our Beloved Nabee Sallallahoo Alayhi Wasallam said Almighty Allah has specified (the limits of the duty of) His creatures by two verses of the Most Holy and Glorious Qur'an: That they speak not until they know and they reject not what they don't know. Almighty Allah tells us in verse 169 of Surah Al A'raf:

"Was not the covenant of the Book taken from them,
that they would not not ascribe to Allah anything but
the Truth?"

And in verse 39 of Surah Yunus Almighty Allah tells us very clearly:

"Nay, they charge with falsehood that whose knowledge
they cannot compass, even before the elucidation thereof
hath reached them."

These verses speak of the people who praised justice with their tongues and violated it [with their deeds]. To halt when in doubt is better than dashing into ruin. To abstain from [narrating] a tradition which is obscure to you is better than narrating something of which you are not sure. When something comes to you that you don't know, your duty in such a case is nothing but to halt, to verify it and refer it to the Imaam for guidance [A'immat-al-huda], who will lead you to what is right, clarify that which was obscure for you and acquaint you with the truth therein. Almighty Allah also tells us in verse 43 of Surah Al Nahl:

"Ask of those (the Ahl-al-Dhikr) who possess the Message."

Human beings are like stars. There are some who generate their own light while there are others who reflect the light they receive. The world is riddled with people who form the second category. They lack initiative and their knowledge is derivative. They go through life with eyes half shut, with dull ears and with dormant thoughts. This incalculable majority of people probably derive support and sustenance from the pervasive dullness and dreary uniformity of their routine as they are quite allergic to originality and diversity.

They are emotionally and spiritually dead. The uncreative torpor of their lives has divested them all of vitality. And the height of irony is that they are not even aware of their hollowness. If the lack of self-confidence, which is the sign of belief in one's incapacity to perform tasks, were to take root in someone's mind, it would be rendered incapable of getting to the heart of anything. Such a person's power of thought would be paralyzed and one cannot expect him or her to attain any kind of human perfection and sublimity. How often does it happen that outstanding capacities and talents die in their infancy as a result of lack of knowledge and self-confidence, and how often brilliant aspirations remain sterile and unproductive for this reason.

There are many people who possess only an average level of abilities, but who advance in life and succeed brilliantly due to their faith and spirit of self-confidence. In critical situations they take resort in their genuine inner powers in order to rescue themselves from dangers and thus remain unharmed by this means. Someone who reaches a firm decision with all his or her being will avoid negative thoughts with all his or her power, and he or she will resist any false idea of weakness and inadequacy.

That is because it is a human right to obtain success, and achievement of a goal is definite if pursued with a positive and constructive frame of mind and with faith, self-confidence, discipline and trust in Almighty Allah Azza Wajjal. Faith, self-confidence and trust in Almighty Allah Rabbul Ala'meen are a creative, constructive and positive force, while the lack of it is a negative, retarding and destructive force. Some people have the capacity to poison the entire atmosphere around them.

They infuse doubt and uncertainty into the minds of other people who have the capacity to grow into free and happy human beings. Persons with a negative bent of mind are like weeds in society who do not perform any function except weakening the creative spirit of others. It is natural that when there are a large number of such people in an environment, not only happiness and success will not flourish in it, but also self-confidence and determination will be cast into oblivion and there will be a general lack of interest in anything vital.

On the other hand, life becomes quite intolerable for the dynamic people who are forced into direct and continuous contact with such people. They feel light and relieved as soon as they get a chance to get away from them, as if a great burden has been removed from their shoulders.

The greater the degree of one's knowledge, one's  faith and self-confidence, the more is the amount of confidence placed by others in one, as the influence one has on others depends on one's self-assurance and the strength of one's faith in one's capacities. If you have self-assurance and are confident of your abilities, you can acquire the confidence of those who come into contact with you. But as soon as your self-confidence is shaken and doubt and hesitation take hold of your mind, you will immediately find others losing their faith in you. Ultimately, any move on your part, whether it is inspired by self-assurance or doubt, will be echoed back to you in the form of other's reaction.

Self-reliance is not only not contrary to trust in Almighty Allah Exalted, the reliance one places in the Glorious and Exalted Creator of the heavens and the earth and the faith one has in the eternal Divine Power strengthen and develop one's personality. A human being having faith, while possessing the assets of self-reliance and an independent personality, utilizes all the available opportunities and means fully and carefully. He or she does not waste any opportunity, but, at the same time, he or she does not confine his or her spirit within the walls of material causes and factors.  His or her humanity is not limited by them.

Rather, the horizons are always open, to ascend to newer heights, and the scope of his or her activity are devoted to higher purposes of life. The human being with a heart full of faith relies upon Almighty Allah Jallah Wa'ala, Who directs all affairs with His Infinite power and has no partner or collaborator in any of His Works. We are told in verse 2 of Surah Fatir:

"What Allah out of His Mercy doth bestow on mankind
there is none who can withhold: What He doth withhold
There is none who can grant, apart from Him: and He
is the Exalted in Power, Full of Wisdom."

Where can mankind find a refuge that is beyond the realm of Almighty Allah's Power? Taking refuge in something other than Almighty Allah Rabbul Ala'meen will have no result except disappointment and humiliation. How can any creature be master and arbiter of other's affairs, while it itself stands in need of Allah for everything, and owns nothing that pertains to itself, and has no power that is its own, nor is capable of offering refuge to anyone?

When one surrenders one's soul and mind to Almighty Allah Jallah Wa'ala, to the degree that one is capable of, one becomes infused with a spirit of submission to Almighty Rabbul Ala'meen and resignation towards His decrees.Reliance upon Almighty Allah Tabaraka Wata'ala never leads to any kind of weakness or indifference. Rather, it gives a self-confidence that strengthens the will and removes all traces of doubt and vacillation from the heart.

The unrelenting struggles of people of Allah in the face of unfavourable circumstances and against the destructive elements and degenerate ideas in their communities, derived their strength from the Infinite Truth. They sought the help of this invisible agent for pursuing their plans of reform and guidance of the people. That is because their souls had an unbreakable bond with the indestructible power of Almighty Allah Azza Wajjal and then pursued their goals resolutely to the very end. As Muslims, we must all evaluate our situation in life and identify the road that we have chosen through the terrain of our existence. We should find out whether we are going towards felicity and goodness or towards wretchedness and deprivation.

Could life not go on in human society without religion and belief in Almighty Allah Subhanahu Wata'ala? Is it not true that someone is called religious who affirms the Glory of an Exalted and Glorious Creator in the world that carries out special acts to please Him? It is possible for each individual in a society to be made responsible for determining what is beneficial and what is harmful in accordance with laws of human design. In such a case, human laws would have been supplanted Divine Laws and there would be no further need for religion.

Finally, it has secured the happiness of the individual in human society from every standpoint, to the greatest possible degree, as any fair-minded person will affirm. Almighty Allah Most Exalted explains Islam in the Most Noble Qur'an in accordance with the limited compass of human understanding in verse 19 of Surah Al-I-Imran:

"Truly, religion before Allah is Surrender (Islam), and those
who received the Book did not differ until after knowledge
reached them, through transgression among themselves, and as to
whoever disbelieves in Allah's Signs, Allah is swift in reckoning."

The foregoing makes it very clear that knowledge, faith, self-confidence and trust in Almighty Allah, in Qur'anic terms, is a way of life ordained by the Most Glorious Creator that man cannot avoid. A society that is not bound to a religion gives up realism and intellectualism and wastes its precious life on waywardness, superficiality, and negligence. Almighty Allah Subhanahu Wata'ala tells us very clearly in verses 9 and 10 of Surah Al-Shams [The Sun]:

"One prospers who tends it, and
one fails who leaves it stunted."

That is, one who keeps oneself from corruption is saved, whereas one who associates with any other sort of illicit pursuit fails to reach his or her object, happiness and deliverance. Of course, one must know that human happiness and individual and social prosperity are based upon practice of religious commandments. Apart from that, merely nominal attachment to religion is useless, since what has value is the Truth itself, not summons to the Truth.

Faith, knowledge and complete trust in Almighty Allah is the strongest and firmest assurance against fear and anguish amid life's ebb and flow. Believers do not give up on themselves to be attached to the limitless power of the Exalted and Glorious Creator of the heavens and the earth. That which is certain is that one cannot succeed in overcoming life's hardships through fear and a lack of faith, self confidence and trust in Almighty Allah. Those who lack courage, faith and trust in Almighty Rabbul Ala'meen do not find refuge from the awesome tempests of life for has it not be said that worthy men are reserved for times of adversity?

And Allah knows best.

Baarak Allaahu Feekum wa-sal Allaahu wa-salam 'alaa Nabiyyinaa
        Muhammad Sallallahoo Alayhi Wasallam.

        Was Salamualaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuhu

Islamic Surf Group

Yahoo! Groups Links