5. Chapter: On Watchfulness

Allah Almighty says, "He who sees you stand up to pray and your movements with
those who prostrate," (W26:217-218; H26:219-220) and the Almighty says, "He is
with you wherever you are." (57:4) The Almighty says, "Allah ­ Him from whom
nothing is hidden, either on earth or in heaven." (W3:5; H3:6) The Almighty
says, "Your Lord is always lying in wait." (89:14). The Almighty says, "(Allah)
knows the eyes' deceit and people's breasts conceal." (40:19)

60. 'Umar ibn al-Khattab said, "One day while we were sitting with the
Messenger of Allah, (PBUH), there appeared before us a man whose clothes were
exceedingly white and whose hair was exceedingly black. No trace of travel
could be seen on him and none of us knew him. He walked up and sat down by the
Prophet. Resting his knees against his and placing the palms of his hands on
his thighs, he said, 'O Muhammad! Tell me about Islam.' The Messenger of Allah,
(PBUH), said, 'Islam is to testify that there is no god but Allah and that
Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah, to perform the prayers, to pay the zakat,
to fast in Ramadan and to make the pilgrimage to the House if you are able to
do so.' He said, 'You have spoken the truth,' and we amazed at him asking him
and then saying that he had spoken the truth. He said, 'Then tell me about
belief.' He said, 'It is to believe in Allah, His angels, His Books, His
Messengers, and the Last Day, and to believe in the
 decree, both its good and its evil.' He said, 'You have spoken the truth.' He
said, 'Then tell me about ihsan.' He said, 'It is to worship Allah as though
you could see Him for while you do not see Him, He sees you.' He said, 'Then
tell me about the Hour.' He said, 'The one asked about it knows no more about
it than the asker.' He said, 'Then tell me about its signs.' He said, 'That a
slavegirl will give birth to her mistress and that you will see barefooted,
destitute herdsmen competing in constructing lofty buildings.' Then he left but
I stayed on a while. Then the Prophet said, ''Umar, do you know who the
questioner was?' I said, 'Allah and His Messenger know best.' He said, 'It was
Jibril who came to teach you your religion.'" [Muslim]