[
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-13231?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=14360661#comment-14360661
]
Allen Wittenauer commented on HBASE-13231:
------------------------------------------
About a year ago, [~apurtell] and I were talking about HADOOP-9902 and how the
work was progressing. He mentioned that the HBase scripts were based on
-ancient tomes- the Hadoop shell scripts and that it would be nice to see them
rewritten as well. After many -beers- objective points to back his position,
he convinced me that I should probably take a look and work on them.
It took a while to finish a big chunk of the work in Hadoop, followed on with
more work as bugs and new ideas popped up (HADOOP-11010) . With the help of a
lot of other folks after the base work was done, that work as mostly slowed
down to a very stable state, with just a few things to finish up (minus unit
test).
A few months back, I started to see what the state of the HBase code actually
was. Again after many -beers- hours of deep analysis, I did a bit of playing
around, using the Hadoop code as a base. I had some basic stuff, but hit a few
pot holes esp when it came to bw compat. I sort of put things on hold as HBase
1.0 had shipped and other, non-Apache stuff floated to the top.
[~busbey] knew I was working on said scripts off & on over the past few months
and suggested I open this JIRA so that he could -hold something over my head-
potentially get something for 1.1 or (more likely) 2.0.
I need to do some cleanup, but I'll try and post what I have thus far. It's in
an incomplete state (read: not usable), but it will give the community a sense
of what I think the direction should probably be. Feedback is always great,
esp if I've done something completely idiotic. Just bear in mind I'm near a
HBase expert so there is a very high probably of that occurring.
Just to expectation set: when it comes to this type of thing, compatibility is
usually a secondary concern, with future capabilities and ease of using usually
more primary. In the case of Hadoop, I estimate it is around 80-90% backward
compat with lots of things triggering deprecation warnings. Of course, the
community ultimately decides but I wanted to throw that out there.
> shell script rewrite
> --------------------
>
> Key: HBASE-13231
> URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-13231
> Project: HBase
> Issue Type: New Feature
> Components: scripts, shell
> Affects Versions: 2.0.0
> Reporter: Allen Wittenauer
>
> This JIRA is for updating the HBase shell code to something remotely modern.
--
This message was sent by Atlassian JIRA
(v6.3.4#6332)