donamk commented on PR #18287:
URL: https://github.com/apache/iceberg/pull/18287#issuecomment-5869769124

   Thank you @pvary for the response. I understand 1.12.0 is intended to come 
soon, and I'm fine
   with this PR not being merged — that's entirely the maintainers' call. But 
I'd like to leave a
   note on why I went through the trouble of tracing and reporting this in the 
first place.
   
   I didn't open this PR over a theoretical concern. My manager, reading this 
official docs page,
   instructed me to evaluate an upgrade to Flink 2.3 — only for me to discover 
that the artifact
   the page recommends (`iceberg-flink-runtime-2.3-1.11.0.jar`) was never 
published to Maven
   Central. The page that caused that detour is the project's official 
getting-started
   documentation, and 1.11.0 has been the latest release since last May.
   
   What bothers me more is that this isn't a one-off typo. The site renders 
`nightly`, `latest`,
   and even historical versioned pages (docs/1.10.2/flink references the same 
nonexistent 2.3
   jar) with main's current, unreleased parameters. So even after 1.12.0 ships, 
the very next
   version bump on main will silently reproduce the same mismatch, and the 
official docs will
   once again point users at artifacts that don't exist. `latest` should 
describe what the
   released version actually ships; main's unreleased versions belong to 
`nightly` alone.
   
   Honestly, it is frustrating to see a knowingly-incorrect official page kept 
as-is while
   waiting for a release. Even for a small docs page, I believe integrity with 
the released
   artifacts is what makes official documentation trustworthy, and that 
accuracy between
   releases is worth a two-line revert plus a structural fix — not just a wait 
for the next
   release train.
   
   If the maintainers consider the structural fix (separating nightly from 
latest) worthwhile,
   I'm happy to take it as a follow-up. Either way, thank you for maintaining 
the project.


-- 
This is an automated message from the Apache Git Service.
To respond to the message, please log on to GitHub and use the
URL above to go to the specific comment.

To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]

For queries about this service, please contact Infrastructure at:
[email protected]


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]

Reply via email to