zhang-arvin commented on PR #9438:
URL: https://github.com/apache/paimon/pull/9438#issuecomment-5616750685

   Thanks @JingsongLi for the precise prescription - the index-manifest scan 
path (`newIndexFileHandler().scan(...)` against the branch-specific 
`FileStoreTable`, resolved via `GlobalIndexMeta`) is exactly what I'll 
implement, with fail-closed manifest reads.
   
   Before I rework the diff, two scoping questions:
   
   1. **Guard coverage**: should `checkGlobalIndexConflicts` run on every 
schema-commit path (DROP COLUMN / RENAME / MODIFY) or only where an indexed 
field could become dangling - i.e. primarily DROP COLUMN? I lean toward wiring 
it into every schema change that can drop/retype a field, keeping behavior 
identical to `MergeIntoUpdateChecker` semantics.
   2. **Branch handling**: for `oldTableSchema` on a branch-specific 
`FileStoreTable`, is resolving via `table.store().branchManager()` plus the 
latest branch snapshot the right entry point, or do you prefer passing the 
branch name through and letting the store resolve it?
   
   I'll also replace the synthetic-option test with a real Global Index create, 
then DROP COLUMN (expected rejection), then drop index and schema change 
succeeds, and fix the trailing whitespace / checkstyle issues.


-- 
This is an automated message from the Apache Git Service.
To respond to the message, please log on to GitHub and use the
URL above to go to the specific comment.

To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]

For queries about this service, please contact Infrastructure at:
[email protected]

Reply via email to