Hello,

I would like to understand the difference between the two following
configurations:

1)

IMAPAccount gmail
Host imap.gmail.com
User x...@gmail.com
UseIMAPS yes
CertificateFile ~/gmail/gmail.crt

IMAPStore gmail-imap
Account gmail

MaildirStore gmail-local
Path ~/gmail
Inbox ~/gmail/Maildir

Channel gmail
Master :gmail-imap:
Slave :gmail-local:
Patterns "[Gmail]/All Mail"
Create Slave
Expunge Slave
Sync PullNew
SyncState *

and 2)

IMAPAccount gmail
Host imap.gmail.com
User x...@gmail.com
UseIMAPS yes
CertificateFile ~/gmail/gmail.crt

IMAPStore gmail-imap
Account gmail

MaildirStore gmail-local
Path ~/gmail
Inbox ~/gmail/Maildir

Channel gmail
Master ":gmail-imap:[Gmail]/All Mail"
Slave :gmail-local:
Create Slave
Expunge Slave
Sync PullNew
SyncState *

Configuration 1) doesn't work as intended while configuration 2) seems to
download all my Gmail emails properly.
Being new to IMAP and synchronization tools like mbsync, is there something
I missed?

Here is the output I'm getting with configuration 1)

$ mbsync -V -c test gmail
* OK Gimap ready for requests from xx.xx.xxx.xxx ya13if3835095wib.27
>>> 1 CAPABILITY
* CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UNSELECT IDLE NAMESPACE QUOTA ID XLIST CHILDREN
X-GM-EXT-1 XYZZY SASL-IR AUTH=XOAUTH
1 OK Thats all she wrote! ya13if3835095wib.27
Password (x...@gmail.com@imap.gmail.com):
>>> 2 LOGIN <user> <pass>
* CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UNSELECT IDLE NAMESPACE QUOTA ID XLIST CHILDREN
X-GM-EXT-1 UIDPLUS COMPRESS=DEFLATE
2 OK x...@gmail.com xxx xxx authenticated (Success)
>>> 3 NAMESPACE
* NAMESPACE (("" "/")) NIL NIL
3 OK Success
>>> 4 LIST "" "%"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "INBOX"
* LIST (\Noselect \HasChildren) "/" "[Gmail]"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "label1"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "label2"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "label3"
4 OK Success
>>> 5 LOGOUT
* BYE LOGOUT Requested
5 OK 73 good day (Success)

Is configuration 2) the way to go, in order to backup a Gmail account,
eventually synchronize it back by restoring from local backup to remote
store then consult it again from gmail.com?

Regards,
Gregory