For me those "if"s are there also to remind me that those pointers where
not allocated. For me one call to malloc/calloc must match one call to
free. Maybe I'm old, but I'll stick with that for now.

  What I can do is to improve the indentation and readability.
Also cm20, cm02 and cm11 don't need the if.

  Just committed to the SVN.

Best,
Scuri