De: Moore, Tysen <tysen_mo...@mentor.com>
Enviado: sexta-feira, 5 de junho de 2020 16:10
Para: IUP discussion list.
Assunto: Re: [Iup-users] Fw:  IUP License Questions

>I'm not sure I entirely agree with your statement: "The point here is that IUP
>project have nothing to do with it all. >After all, who is possibly violating
>the GPL is the end user of the libraries (CD and IM). The IUP project only
>provides, >as a courtesy, the source code of the GPL libraries to anyone who
>wants to use it or not, it does not oblige in any >way to use them. And it is
>clearly documented, including licenses, in its official documentation, so that
>no one is in >doubt."
Welcome to the opensource world, with the GPL.

>I agree that all users are ultimately responsible for the licenses used within
>their projects.  However, please take a >step back and look at this as a new
>IUP user like myself.  I started my project by evaluating a number of
>>cross->platform frameworks: wxWidgets, Qt, NCurses, Nuklear, IUP.  When
>evaluating a number of frameworks I >relied on top level docs, and I even
>wrote the same simple app to evaluate high level features needed by my
>>application.  We decided to use IUP because of its: ease of use, feature set,
>licensing, etc.  I think it is a little naive to >think a new user evaluating
>a framework will know to look for third party licenses in every source
>directory when >the top level overview/license sections indicate it's "free
>software, can be used for public and commercial >applications".  I believe
>that you feel things are "clearly documented" but this is from your intimate
>knowledge of >the framework.  As a new user this is not the case. It is even
>more confusing for a new user because the IUP/etc >directories make no clear
>distinction between third-party and IUP framework code--at least for a new
>user.
Unfortunately it is confusing yes.
What has to be made clear here, is about the IUP License, is that they are
talking about the code itself.
It's free-code, without any restrictions.
But, as a developer, you and I have to really check if what we are going to use
is free or not.
That is why I do not use the CD library in my products.
See, I already found, for example, projects with all free libraries (not GPL),
but the final project is GPL, that is, in this case, you can use the libraries
in non-free products, but not the main product code , very confused.

>My reasoning for my initial email was not to cause a big fight in this list.
>I was bringing this to the attention of the >list in case the maintainers or
>users were unaware of these issues.  I was also looking for some guidance for
>best >practices to resolve these issues.  My suggestion was for a benign
>change to the top level docs to clearly list third >party code that one should
>be aware of.  If the maintainers of IUP don't want to do this, that is their
>decision.  >Again, my thought was a suggestion for [apparently debatable]
>improvement.  No harm.
Certainly, a welcome suggestion, not an imposition.
But Tecgraf cannot be held responsible for any deviations that may occur, with
or without warnings, by whoever uses the libraries, because in the end, it is
not Tecgraf that is violating the GPL, after all the products distributed by it
are free-code (GPL accordance).

Better yet, walk the path of removing all GPL libraries, step by step, in the
end, indirectly protecting all users of those libraries, who may want to create
non-free products.

regards,
Ranier Vilela