I have just submitted a patch for the YUV playback code which significantly reduces the cpu used during playback using the Xv code.

Now the CPU usage for X has dropped from about 30-35% to about 0.5 – 2%. So I can now play back stuff with mplayer burning ~13%cpu and I have between 80 & 85% idle.

Mplayer drops much fewer frames now (1 or 2 at start up) and the audio & video should be more in sync than in the past.

I have now finished all the planned changes for the Xv/yuv code before 0.4 is branched other than fixing issues that anyone finds with the last few changes.

Thanks

John