Just wanted to follow up on this thread to let everyone know what became of this issue.

First, I gave up on the 500 and returned it in exchange for another 250.  So now, I have dual 250s.

I installed one of the 250s and went through the motions of trying to validate the feed on /dev/video0 using the methods described in Jarods guide (http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php).  I was never able to get this to work (I have the 0.4.0 driver). I was able to do this quite successfully when I was on the old 0.2.x driver.

Rather than continue to struggle with this validation step, I decided to just fire up mythtvsetup and configure this capture card, and, voila, it worked!  Then, I added the second 250, configured it, and it worked too.  I was never able to get a satisfactory test by running mplayer on a sampling of either /dev/video0 or /dev/video1.

I suspect that the 500 I ended up returning would have worked as well, but I never got past the diagnostics to find out whether it would have worked in myth.  I should have done this, but it's too late now (sigh).

I think the ultimate problem is that with the upgrade from 0.2.x to 0.4.0, the diagnostics procedure I was trying to use is now obsolete.

If anyone can elaborate on the proper methodology to test a capture card with the ivtv 0.4.0 driver, it might help those who are still trying to solve this issue.  A search of this database seems to suggest I was not the only one fighting this issue.  Maybe if we are all nice to Jarod (or send him gobs of money), he will update his How-to :)

Larry

On 10/19/05, Timothy McFadden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 10/18/05, Larry K <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  5) Installed the mkinitrd changes and recreated my boot image.  Can anyone
> explain why this is necessary for the PVR-500?  Based on Jarod's site, it
> appears this change is necessary for the PVR-350 since it has on-board
> TV-out and piping X over that requires some modules be made available in the
> boot image?

Hi Larry.

I don't think this was neccessary because you are using a PVR-500.
You are right in that it's only for PVR-350 users who are using
TV-OUT.  The purpose is to get IVTV loaded soon enough that you can
see the machine boot up ( rhgb, log in, etc ).  It's not a
requirement.  In fact, I don't use it anymore.  It's just nice to
have. ( I'll probably wind up putting it back in to mine ).

It's been a while, but do you need the following lines in modprobe.conf?
  install tveeprom /sbin/modprobe tveeprom
  install ivtv /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install ivtv; /sbin/modprobe ivtv-fb
  install lirc_i2c /sbin/modprobe ivtv; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install lirc_i2c

I'm not using ivtv_4.0 yet so I don't know if this was changed.

-Tim