Hi John,

looks like I spoke a little too soon. Things worked great the first time around:
-apply patch, make & install
-reboot
-try to view videos (couldn't see videos/movie)
-view recorded tv, exit
-mplayer -fs -framedrop -vo xv %s
 720x480 mpeg4: excellent
 480x272 mpeg2: excellent
-xine -f %s
 720x480 mpeg4: good (my slow machine can't keep up)
 480x272 mpeg2: good (my slow machine can't keep up)

but now, after doing some other stuff (watching tv, listening to music):
-mplayer -fs -framedrop -vo xv %s
 720x480 mpeg4: still excellent
 480x272 mpeg2: not centered on screen, some tearing of the image
(other smaller mpegs are similar)

rebooting doesn't make any difference.

I'm using Knoppmyth R4A16, the newest firmware from the Hauppauge
site, and the ivtvdev_drv.o from ivtv3.6o, your patch, NTSC.

still, it's a great improvement, thanks!

cheers,
Dirk