From: Michael Glavassevich [mailto:mrgla...@ca.ibm.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 08, 2010 10:33
To: j-users@xerces.apache.org
Cc: gene...@xml.apache.org; j-...@xerces.apache.org
Subject: Re: [POLL]: Dropping JDK 1.3 support for Xerces-J?

Hi Jake,

"Jacob Kjome" <h...@visi.com> wrote on 07/08/2010 12:58:49 PM:

> I have a library I develop (XMLC [1]) that depends on JDK1.3 and also depends
> on Xerces.  That said, part of the reason of depending on JDK1.3 is
> to stay in
> line with the Xerces dependency on JDK1.3.  The other reason is thatJDK1.3 is
> free and clear of any built-in XML APIs, which allows me to include exactly
> the JAXP library of my choice (xml-apis.jar) without worry of compile-time
> binding to odd invalid APIs included in 1.4 (such as some stuff meant for the
> HTML2 API that got placed in the HTML1 API DOM package namespace).  But if
> Xerces decides to move to a later version of Java, then I will probably move
> XMLC right along with it.
>
> That said, I would think that if Xerces were going to bother making a move at
> all it would move to JDK1.5 rather than bother with 1.4.  Xerces 2.10 is
> always there for 1.3 and 1.4 codebases, which should all be well into
> maintenance mode meaning few, if any, library changes.

It's often not a choice but a constraint of the environment the developer is
working in, having to write a new application on top of a product stack which
is stuck on one of these earlier JDK releases. JDK 1.4 isn't dead yet; still in
service for some vendors, including Oracle/Sun if you're a business willing to
pay for the support. Not aware of any vendors supporting JDK 1.3 anymore though.

> Moving to 1.5 would
> allow Xerces to take advantage of all the new language constructs added in
> 1.5, as well as APIs added in 1.5 (e.g., StringBuilder -vs- StringBuffer).

Right. We all talked about the benefits of moving up even higher to Java 5 and
6 before, but have been quite conservative about upgrading because of where we
are in the food chain.

This seems like some harsh handcuffs for Xerces to live with. If an app is
stuck on Java 1.3, is it also evolving and keeping up with Xerces versions and
new XML and XML Schema standards? As argued above, you can always use Xerces
2.10, forever. Why not lose the shakles? What about getting started on Xerces
3.0 with a 6 requirement and maintain Xerces 2.x on Java 3 with critical bugs
fixes only? And say "Welcome to the 21st century :)"

Gary