Hi Michael,

In the company where I work (a large international financial business in the Netherelands) we do not use JDK 1.3 anymore. I think that it is about 2 years ago that we migrated the old Websphere application servers which were still using jdk 1.3. On our AIX systems 1.4.2 is now standard. But I see that most new applications require at least java 1.5. And in that cases you see that just another java version is installed together with the application. So migrating Xerces to a newer JDK (why not 1.5) is
fine for me.

Dick Deneer
Op 8-jul-2010, om 17:36 heeft Michael Glavassevich het volgende geschreven:

Hi all,

(including gene...@xml.apache.org on the cc list to hopefully reach a wider audience)

We're talking again on the Xerces j-dev mailing list about dropping support for JDK 1.3. The reason being that current builds of the XPath 2.0 processor (Eclipse PsychoPath) used by the XML Schema 1.1 implementation require JDK 1.4. While we do have a one-off PsychoPath jar that was built with JDK 1.3 some time ago, in order to pick up recent bug fixes in this library we need to refresh it with the JDK 1.4 version. This would only impact the XML Schema 1.1 enabled release for now but at some point in the future when XML Schema 1.1 becomes stable (both spec and impl) this would get merged into the main line.

Given the age of JDK 1.3 and that it's generally out of service my intuition is that this upgrade would probably be okay but wanted to check with users on their needs. Is there anyone out there still using Xerces-J with JDK 1.3? If you are, how long into the future will you continue to do so, and would you be willing to migrate to JDK 1.4 (or higher) to be able to use XML Schema 1.1?

Thanks.

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab