Some of these steps are out-of-date but this [1] should give you a general
idea of what's involved in preparing a release. I think some projects have
had committers who just wrote documentation or contributed in other
non-coding ways so that's certainly a possibility.

Thanks.

[1] http://xerces.apache.org/xerces2-j/faq-contributing.html#faq-2

Michael Glavassevich
XML Technologies and WAS Development
IBM Toronto Lab
E-mail: mrgla...@ca.ibm.com
E-mail: mrgla...@apache.org

"Eric J. Schwarzenbach" <eric.schwarzenb...@wrycan.com> wrote on
01/11/2018 02:05:12 PM:

> From: "Eric J. Schwarzenbach" <eric.schwarzenb...@wrycan.com>
> To: j-users@xerces.apache.org
> Date: 01/11/2018 02:05 PM
> Subject: Re: Any Xerces-J 2.12.0 release date to address CVE-2012-0881?
>
> One might expect "commiter" to imply a coder, but could someone who
> is not going to actually work on xerces code be made a committer? If
> so, what skills would such a person need in order to help get the
release out?
> On 01/11/2018 01:42 PM, Michael Glavassevich wrote:
> A lot of what needs to get done requires write-access and that can
> only be done by committers [1]. That's where this project has been
> hurting for a long time and where we definitely need help. Of course
> there are activities such as testing or doing a build that anyone
> could do, but someone with commit access is needed to pull a
releasetogether.

> Thanks.
>
> [1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/getinvolved.html#become-a-committer
>
> Michael Glavassevich
> XML Technologies and WAS Development
> IBM Toronto Lab
> E-mail: mrgla...@ca.ibm.com
> E-mail: mrgla...@apache.org
>
> Will Herrmann <wjherrm...@gmail.com> wrote on 01/10/2018 11:34:39 PM:
>
> > I too work with an organization that is a bit concerned about using
> > a library with a 5-year old security issue. If the issue is a lack
> > of volunteers, what can we do to help, especially given that the fix
> > is already done? Do you need testers? People to build from source?
> > Something else?
> >
> > -Will Herrmann
> >
> > > As has been the case for a long time, Xerces-J 2.12.0 needs
volunteers to
> > > actually make this release happen.
> > >
> > > Michael Glavassevich
> > > XML Technologies and WAS Development
> > > IBM Toronto Lab
> > > E-mail: mrgla...@ca.ibm.com
> > > E-mail: mrgla...@apache.org
> > >
> > > Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com> wrote on 12/22/2017 01:46:28
PM:

u=https-3A__www.owasp.org_index.php_OWASP-5FDependency-5FCheck&d=DwIFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-
> > siA1ZOg&r=KSsQtaTrbQnz98UqasbfUccVGXxb9hHxwso62zJ-
> > DKI&m=mhg1UoAqEyPAE-

iRxRa_1F1tVGzXVcJXZNLn39oyBRM&s=8VFeoB1BkOSReGrRxENRnFx7vA5raEwKWVB8GdwRkf8&e=

u=https-3A__issues.apache.org_jira_browse_XERCESJ-2D1685&d=DwIFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-
> > siA1ZOg&r=KSsQtaTrbQnz98UqasbfUccVGXxb9hHxwso62zJ-
> > DKI&m=mhg1UoAqEyPAE-

iRxRa_1F1tVGzXVcJXZNLn39oyBRM&s=hCJU3BJU6XA9RAk8dWjptod9p0vLPln5AdUllsOIlus&e=

u=https-3A__issues.apache.org_jira_projects_XERCESJ_versions_12336542&d=DwIFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-
> > siA1ZOg&r=KSsQtaTrbQnz98UqasbfUccVGXxb9hHxwso62zJ-
> > DKI&m=mhg1UoAqEyPAE-

iRxRa_1F1tVGzXVcJXZNLn39oyBRM&s=InGKcCzaUSGYeBbHNA8i3dJtU2CQb40diziknWlHYJY&e=