Dnia 25-10-2007, Cz o godzinie 17:20 -0700, Mark Doliner pisze:
> > ./configure --prefix=somedir HAVE to move the whole installation to
> > 'somedir'.
> > So we simply cannot use fixed paths. They HAVE to incorporate $(prefix).
>
> For binaries and documentation I totally agree, but does it make sense to do
> that for files created at run time?

Two examples, that should give some light to the case:
./configure --prefix=$HOME/test/jabberd
./configure --prefix=/opt/oss/jabberd

User definitely cannot keep any data outside $HOME.
And all data of /opt applications should be kept under /opt hierarchy.

> Isn't that MORE of a reason to put the pid files in /var/run?

It's the decision to be taken during build.
For example, if you're packaging for standard GNU/Linux distribution,
yes it's very reasonable to put pid files in /var/run or /var/run/jabber

> If /usr is read-only and jabberd tries to write a pid file to /usr/var/run it
> would fail.

That's why it keeps its state data in @localstatedir@ by default, not
in /usr.

--