On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 8:11 AM, Anindya Chatterjee <anidot...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have an unique requirement. I like to determine if an object of a given
> type can be serialized into a value depending on the registered module in
> ObjectMapper.
>
> The code should work as follows:
>

> public boolean canConvertToValue(Class<?> type)  {
>     // code goes here
> }
>
> //result as follows
> canConvertToValue(SomeType.class) = false
> canConvertToValue(String.class) = true
> canConvertToValue(LocalDateTime.class) = false   // when JavaTimeModule is
> not registered
> canConvertToValue(LocalDateTime.class) = true    // when JavaTimeModule is
> registered
>
> How do I implement canConvertToValue() using jackson? Or is that impossible
> to implement?

There is no such functionality because any type can (in theory) be
serialized like a POJO.
There is no way to know, for example, that for `LocalDateTime` this is
not the best way to do it.
Similarly there is no reliable way to see if a type could be
deserialized: checks could perhaps be
added to ensure there is a constructor, but even that gets complex and
gives false positives easily.

There are methods `canSerialize()` and `canDeserialize()` in
ObjectMapper in 2.x, but I have removed them
from 3.0 since they really achieve very little.

-+ Tatu +-