Am Fri, 22 Oct 2021 02:45:44 -0700 (PDT)
schrieb Andrea Marchetta <marchetta.and...@gmail.com>:

> Hi, i'm currently trying to use jailhouse on my stm32mp157a-dk1 kit
> for a research project. My main concerns are the followings:
> - first off, i've found the device tree for my board, but i'm
> struggling to convert it to a suitable jailhouse config file. My
> device tree is enormous, and thus i don't know which peripherals are
> mandatory and which one could be skipped altogether

Writing that initial config is cumbersome, unfortunately. You can check
out existing examples and see how their device trees have been
translated. It is an iterative process where you need to solve several
issues until you have something working. Later could be hardening to
remove bits that the root cell maybe should not be allowed to do
anymore, once running under jailhouse.
But the hypervisor will tell you about problems with reporting access
violations, so the process could be called "guided".

Maybe your research can be done on a board that is already supported.

> - secondly, i'm not sure the linux distro i'll be using, which is the
> openstlinux one, can work seamlessly with jailhouse
> has anybody tried something similar? As far as i know Emtrion used
> some STM chips with their boards jailhouse-compatible, but the
> address mapping is completely different

Jailhouse consists of a bunch of tools and a driver, plus the need to
apply a bunch of kernel patches - or use the jailhouse kernel tree if
your board is supported by mainline. That should not pose a problem for
any distro.

But again ... taking a problematic distro on a problematic board is not
research, it is "BSP doing". For your research just take another board
and i.e. jailhouse-images which will give you debian as distro.
Or if your sponsor insists, you have to do the "BSP doing", which is
not too bad but will cost.

regards,
Henning