Sebastien LELONG wrote:

> Remember the discussion about setting the compiler version in JSG headers ? 
> Should we set "Compiler: >=2.4h" or "Compiler: =2.4h" ?
> 
> It appears some libraries expect to work only with one specific compiler 
> version. For instance, device files expect 2.4i (Compiler: =2.4i). But other 
> libraries also expect 2.4h, specifically:
> 
> ./external/co2/co2_t6603.jal: Compiler: =2.4h
> ./external/humidity/humidity_sht.jal: Compiler: =2.4h
> ./external/temperature/temperature_tc77.jal: Compiler: =2.4h
> ./peripheral/usart/serial_hw_int_cts.jal: Compiler: =2.4h
> 
> 
> Does these libs are supposed to work only with 2.4h, and *not* with 2.4i ? I 
> guess they should also work with 2.4i, so this Compiler: field should have to 
> be updated.

'Does work' is less important than 'has been tested' with a specific 
compiler version. Since I test only with the latest compiler version I 
have given the latest device files this version indicator (=2.4i), but I 
have no problem with an update to >=2.4i.

Because a new compiler version is most likely better than all of its 
predecessors I suggest to use the >= indicator. In that case not all 
include files need an update of the compiler indicator when the libary 
itself has not changed.   But in the past there were contra-arguments...


> PS: same for samples:
> 
> ./16f877a/sample_co2_t6603.jal:-- Compiler: =2.4h
> ./16f88/serial_hw_int_cts_echo.jal:-- Compiler: =2.4h
> ./16f876a/sample_sht.jal:-- Compiler: =2.4h
> ./16f876a/sample_tc77.jal:-- Compiler: =2.4h
> ./16f876a/sample_t6603.jal:-- Compiler: =2.4h
> 
> Blink samples specify: "Compiler: =2.4". That is, not "minor" version 
> (g,h,i...). I think they should specify it (same as for device files, to be 
> consistent ?)

The blink samples are so simple (and use no libs) that I think these 
will run with 'any' minor version of the 2.4 compiler. So omitting the 
minor version is not too bad.

> .. this is not a big deal, very few people will look at this field. Except 
> maybe when they can't make something work, and read "ok I must use 2.4h, 
> because it's specified here". This can be a big deal. Maybe... :)

This encourages to specify the (>=) version with which the library or 
sample was last tested (implying that the library did not change since 
that compiler version).

Regards, Rob.

-- 
Rob Hamerling, Vianen, NL (http://www.robh.nl/)

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"jallib" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/jallib?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to