Hi Rob,

> 'Does work' is less important than 'has been tested' with a specific
> compiler version. Since I test only with the latest compiler version I
> have given the latest device files this version indicator (=2.4i), but I
> have no problem with an update to >=2.4i.

OK, it depends on what you put behind "Compiler:". For me, it's "this library 
requires to use of compiler with version...", and not "tested with". It's 
like a dependency. See JSG:

 * "Compiler: [specify which version of compiler is needed. Ex: >=2.4g, 
=2.3, ???]"
 * "The compiler helps readers to know which compiler version is needed to use 
this file "

> Because a new compiler version is most likely better than all of its
> predecessors I suggest to use the >= indicator. In that case not all
> include files need an update of the compiler indicator when the libary
> itself has not changed.   But in the past there were contra-arguments...

This is also what I suggest. I can't even remember what are the 
contra-arguments :)

> The blink samples are so simple (and use no libs) that I think these
> will run with 'any' minor version of the 2.4 compiler. So omitting the
> minor version is not too bad.

OK

> This encourages to specify the (>=) version with which the library or
> sample was last tested (implying that the library did not change since
> that compiler version).

Again, it depends on what you put behind "Compiler:". Storing test results 
within a file is not a good idea, as you'll put plenty information not 
related to lib's usage, will produce lots of commits, and also will requires 
lots of maintainance (edit the file and commit each time you test ?...)

For me, Compiler: is an dependency expression. If your lib is >=2.4i, this 
means you use a special feature on this very particular version. Or you base 
you lib's code on some bug fixes coming with this version (eg. 
recently, "pragma inline" bug for 18f series IIRC).


Cheers,
Seb
-- 
Sébastien LELONG
http://www.sirloon.net
http://sirbot.org

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"jallib" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/jallib?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to