Just hasy guess, you asked:

> Why hasn't the method updated  the message

MimeMessages from MailImp are stored to stream repository by means of
MimeMessageWrapper, while other content of MailImpl is stored to object
repository. Check the AvalonMailRepository where "magic" happens.
So when you modify MimeMessage (i.e. stream) your modifications may not be
saved to storage (stream repository). Check how boolean variable
"saveStream"  variable is set in AvalonMailRepository around lines
180-190... Though I may be wrong.

Best regards,
Andrei

PS would appreciate if someone will pay attention to my today's questions
about James and TLS...