Noel,

>Wait a minute ... are we talking about the same thing?  I agree that there
>needs be a Mailet API that is a real, first class, Java API for
>Matchers/Mailets to interact with the container environment.

+1

>I am
>disagreeing with the proposals that use AJP or other protocol to effectively
>run matchers/mailets in RMI servers separate from the container.  I am
>disagreeing with an archtecture organized around distributing the server
>across its internal architecture, as opposed to distributing process at the
>message level, using the RFC-defined protocols.

Well I am not against remote capaility.  I'm not a JAMES user, I'm just
Avaloner interloper looking for a block-centric Java world.  I'm here to
advocate solutions from the Avalon family.

>I thought that you were advocating the use of AltRMI or SOAP.  I didn't
>realize that you were raising those spectres purely to suggest that the
>issue of distribution be ignored, and the actual API be the focus.

I am for the use of such tools to publish _arbitary_ Java interfaces if
you need to publish them.

  http://www.themindelectric.com/glue/index.html
  http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/excalibur/altrmi/

I am avocating them *over* RMI or AJP11/12/13 or similar which are tied
to a particular transport. and cost the API developer much angst.

- Paul