Hi Arian I,
   
  The phrase is made up of three parts:"nari (naru),""kane 
(kaneruFŒ“‚Ë‚é/“ï‚Ë‚éj" and "nai."
   
  "naru" means to become, "kaneru" means cannot or be hard to do. "nai" means 
not.
  So the phrase means 'not be unable to become'.  Sounds roundabout or 
complicated, doesn't it? In short it meand "can become."
   
    As the structure shows, it is hard for pupils or junior high students to 
use on daily basis and don't have the chance to use it, though children 
understand or (feel) what it means, when watching anime. 
  Children and people like to use straightforward expression in everyday life. 
Adults usually use the expression in the formal situation like a conference and 
I imagine the character in the "ALPS no shojo HAIJI" used the phrase in order 
to emphasize his opinion. (Unfortunately) I haven't used the expression for 
many years. 

   
    Sample*
  1. "hootte okuto (sonomama ni shiteokuto ) taihenna monndai ni narikanenai" = 
If it is unsolved (left as it is) , it can cause a serious problem.
   
2.  "sutoresu wo tametebakari iruto, itsuka bakuhatu shikanenai." If he is 
under stress, someday he can explode (with anger)."
     Here "shi" means do, "kane" cannot,  "nai" not. 
  3. "sono shitumon ni wa kotae kaneru" means I can not answer that question. 
       Here "kotae" means answer, "kaneru" means cannot.   
      If I use the expression, I feel like being a politician, who is trying to 
hide the fact I receieved bribes from a company.
   
  

ai3131 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
          I was watching "ALPS no shojo HAIJI" last night and I heard a phrase 
that included the word "narikanenai". I do not remember exactly what 
was said, but I know that word was included.

What is "narikanenai" and just how is this word used in Japanese? Much 
obliged in advance.

- Arian I.



         


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Japanese_Language/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Japanese_Language/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 

Reply via email to