BEFORE YOU POST, search the faq at <http://java.apache.org/faq/>
WHEN YOU POST, include all relevant version numbers, log files,
and configuration files.  Don't make us guess your problem!!!

Sockets also use file descriptors.  If there are many simultaneous
connections, you
may run out of descriptors and be unable to open a new connection.  Another
scenario
would be slow clients -- if  each client takes a long time to read the data
you send,
sockets stay open longer and more are in use simultaneously than you might
normally
expect.  Finally, after sockets are closed, there is timeout that has to
elapse before
the descriptor is fully released.

And of course, a buggy application that fails to close sockets, or that
just behaves badly
 can cause the same thing.  An example: Where I work we have a website
based on a
"name brand" app server, running on Solaris with 4096 descriptors/process.
Every few
days we get "out of file descriptor" errors due to the webserver proxy
erroneously
sending bad requests to the app-server at a rate of 40+/sec.  The sockets
build up
and cannot timeout fast enough.

The next time you find encounter this problem, I suggest you use netstat -a
on the JServ
box to see how many sockets there in in what states.

- Fernando

|--------+----------------------------------------->
|        |          Ben Ricker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> |
|        |          Sent by:                       |
|        |          <[EMAIL PROTECTED]|
|        |          -dogs.com>                     |
|        |                                         |
|        |                                         |
|        |          01/12/2001 11:14 AM            |
|        |          Please respond to "Java Apache |
|        |          Users"                         |
|        |                                         |
|--------+----------------------------------------->

>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |

  |       To:     Java Apache Users <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                        |
  |       cc:
                        |
  |       Subject:     File-Max Limit reached
                        |

>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

BEFORE YOU POST, search the faq at <http://java.apache.org/faq/>
WHEN YOU POST, include all relevant version numbers, log files,
and configuration files.  Don't make us guess your problem!!!

I am banging my head up against the wall for the answer to a problem.
This may or may not be related to Jserv/JVM issues but I thought I would
ask the masses is they might have experienced the same problem.

We have a web app which is servlet based running on Redhat 6.2 with Sun
JVM 1.2.2 and Jserv 1.1.2. I got a call that our web app was
unreacheable. I cannot get to the box remotely so I go to the console. I
get an error to the effect that my file-max open file limit had been
reached. I could not do anything as far as diagnoses on the box because
I could not even open a shell. So I had to hard reboot the box and
everything came back up fine.

I have no users on this box so user mischief is not a possibility. I
only run telnet and FTP for as few developers and ssh for admins. There
are no other services bieng run except for java, httpd (apache), and
system  things like crond, syslogd, etc.

Can anyone think of a scenario where jserv or the JVM may cause a
massive opening of files? Massive logging, perhaps? Garbage Collection
gone horribly wrong? I am grasping at straws here.

Sorry if this is a little off-topic. If you think it is not Jserv that
caused the problem, respond to me privately.

Thanks!

Ben Ricker
Senior Systems Administrator
US-Rx, Inc.