Marvin Humphrey wrote:

On Mar 10, 2007, at 3:27 PM, Michael Busch wrote:

I'm going to respond to this over several mails (: and possibly days :) because there's an awful lot here, and I've already implemented a lot of it in KS.

We should also make this public, so that users can store their own index metadata. (Remark: LUCENE-783 is also a neat idea, we can write one xml parser for both items)

There's a significant downside to allowing users to store arbitrary data in an XML index file: you can't use a bare-bones parser, hand-coded for a tiny, controlled subset of XML syntax and a limited set of data structures. You'd need a full-on XML encoder/decoder, presumably an existing one that would be added as a dependency.

The only reason that the KinoSearch's YAML codec requires only 600 lines of C is that it's a closed system. No multi-line strings. No objects. No nulls. You get the picture.

That's a good point, Marvin. The parser would be much simpler if we had no open XML file. I think our best option here is to have a closed XML file for the index format/configuration (something like you sent in your other mail) plus a binary file for custom index-level metadata like Grant suggested.

Btw, I'm not really familiar with YAML. Maybe you could explain briefly why you chose YAML over XML in KinoSearch?

- Michael