On 08/11/2009 08:22 AM, Michael McCandless wrote:
I do still think a longish 2.9 beta is warranted, if we can succeed in
getting users outside the dev group to kick the tires and uncover
stuff.

I think a beta would be a great idea. Not sure it needs to be "longish."

Having not looked at it, I'm a bit leery about the token/filter changes and new query parser. To me, a user and very minor contributor, I don't see much value in it, see potential cost to me, and fear a performance hit (most of my docs are a sentence in length). Because it has been changing on a regular basis, I have not been motivated to look at it or play with it. So hopefully my trepidation is unfounded.

But, with the long release cycles of Lucene, the future value seems to far away. It might be good to prepare the user community for the change.

If, as another note suggested, 2.9 is sometime in the next 30 days, when would it start. What needs to be done before a beta?

How about putting out an alpha now? It would have the normal alpha caveats.

I think starting on the actual path to release may cause it to happen sooner rather than later. I am eager for a release.

-- DM