Thanks Danil - you reminded me of another reason why reindexing is
impossible - fetching the data, even if it's available is too damn costly.

Robert, I think you're driven by Analyzers changes ... been too much around
them I'm afraid :).

A major version upgrade is a move to Java 1.5 for example. I can do that,
and I don't see why I need to reindex my data because of that. And I simply
don't buy that "do this work on your own" ... people can take a snapshot of
the code, maintain it separately and you'll never hear back from them. Who
benefits - neither !
It's open source - true, but it's way past the "Hey look, I'm a new open
source project w/ a dozen users, I can do whatever I want". Lucene is a
respected open source project, w/ serious adoption and deployments. People
trust on the select few committers here to do it right for them, so they
don't need to invest the time and resources in developing core IR stuff. And
now you're pushing to "do it yourself" approach? I simply don't get or buy
it.

When were you struck w/ maintaining backwards change because the index
structure changed? I bet no so many of us, or shall I say just the few Mikes
out there? So how hard is it to require such back-compat support? I
wholeheartedly agree that we shouldn't keep back-compat on Analyzer changes,
nor on bugs such that one which changed the position of the field from -1 to
0 (a while ago - don't remember the exact details).

Shai