Check from http://www.jguru.com/faq/view.jsp?EID=282323
Cheers!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Chrispin Kabuya <chrispin.kab...@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 17:44:10 +0200
Subject: Re: [java ee programming] Difference between Applicaton and Web server
To: anthonycklamp...@hotmail.com

A Web Server understands and supports only HTTP protocol whereas an
Application Server supports HTTP,TCP/IP and many more protocols. Also
many more features such as Caches,Clusters,Load Balancing are there in
Application Servers which are not available in Web Servers. We can
also Configure Application Servers to work as Web Server. In short,
Applicaion Server is a super set of which Web Server is a sub set.
web server is just a publishing server.whereas an application server
provides some services like security, and as said before clustering
and caches on its own.we just have to configure in order to use these
services.in case of a web server it is the burden of the programmer to
do all these. A web server provides services only to web clients
whereas an application server provides services to any application
which is running in a distributed environment.

On 4/4/11, Anthony Lam <anthonycklamp...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to clarify the concept behind Application server and Web
> server. What is the difference between the two? I am using the Glassfish
> server under Window Vista for my J2EE course. Is Glassfish an Application
> server or Web server? If it is an Application server then what Web server I
> am using?
>
> The popluar Web components I always heard of in the market is :
>
> Tomcat
> Apache
> websphere
> Jboss
>
> Which of the products above are classified as Application server or Web
> server?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Regards,
> Anthony Lam