I can't get any java apps to recognize that I have the latest java (version 5,
update 9 - which seems to install a free java program named SableVM) installed.
Java is installed here, /usr/java/jre1.5.0_09.
The major problem indicator is that I can't install LimeWire. LimeWire is
installed here, /usr/lib/LimeWire. Basically, it says that it can find java in
the path, but no where else. I followed the instructions located at java.com
explicitly. But, I can't figure out what the problem is. jre1.5.0_09 worked
great and I never heard of SableVM. So, I'm lost.

The error message says;
Starting LimeWire...
Java exec found in PATH. Verifying...
OOPS, you don't seem to have a valid JRE. LimeWire works best with Sun JRE
available at http://www.java.com [java = SableVM]
You need to upgrade to JRE 1.4.x or newer from http://www.java.com
OOPS, unable to locate java exec in  /usr/lib/  hierarchy
You need to upgrade to JRE 1.4.x or newer from http://www.java.com
Java exec found in  /usr/java/jre1.5.0_09/bin/
OOPS, you don't seem to have a valid JRE. LimeWire works best with Sun JRE
available at http://www.java.com  [/usr/java/jre1.5.0_09/bin/java = Error]
You need to upgrade to JRE 1.4.x or newer from http://www.java.com
OOPS, unable to locate java exec in  /usr/java/  hierarchy
You need to upgrade to JRE 1.4.x or newer from http://www.java.com
ls: /opt/j*: No such file or directory
OOPS, unable to locate java exec in  /opt/  hierarchy
You need to upgrade to JRE 1.4.x or newer from http://www.java.com