I fixed it... Not sure how I fixed it or why it's working now...
I know that I d/l'd from the top most link at the sun-java page and
installed it.
Linux RPM (self-extracting file)
(filesize: 15.74 MB) That didn't work...

I d/l'd from the second link ...
Linux (self-extracting file)
(filesize: 16.27 MB) and it worked...

I installed both of them the same way, following the instructions... I'm not
sure what the difference was, besides the sizes, they were both listed with
the same file name.

The end result is the same; my java apps are working and limewire installed
correctly and is working...

Daniel L. McGrew wrote:

> I can't get any java apps to recognize that I have the latest java
> (version 5, update 9 - which seems to install a free java program named
> SableVM) installed.
> Java is installed here, /usr/java/jre1.5.0_09.
> The major problem indicator is that I can't install LimeWire.
> LimeWire is installed here, /usr/lib/LimeWire.
> Basically, it says that it >can find java in the path, but no where else.
> I followed the instructions >located at java.com explicitly. But, I can't
> figure out what the problem >is. jre1.5.0_09 worked great and I never
> heard of SableVM. So, I'm lost.
> The error message says;
> Starting LimeWire...
> Java exec found in PATH. Verifying...
> OOPS, you don't seem to have a valid JRE. LimeWire works best with Sun JRE
<SNIP>