The documentation I'm referencing is here:
https://lucene.apache.org/core/4_5_1/queryparser/org/apache/lucene/queryparser/classic/package-summary.html#package_description,
with a note:  org.apache.lucene.queryparser.flexible.standard
<https://lucene.apache.org/core/4_5_1/queryparser/org/apache/lucene/queryparser/flexible/standard/package-summary.html>
has
an alternative queryparser that matches the syntax of this one, but is more
modular, enabling substantial customization to how a query is created.