I'm working on a project that uses
the org.apache.lucene.queryparser.flexible.standard.parser.StandardSyntaxParser.
I found in the documentation online that the list of special characters is
as follows:

This list does not include angle brackets (< >) but the
StandardSyntaxParser generates the following exception when it attempts to
parse a string containing these characters:

INVALID_SYNTAX_CANNOT_PARSE: Syntax Error, cannot parse

Obviously, our work around of escaping the angle brackets works as we need
it to, but it seems to me that your documentation is incorrect. Am I
misunderstanding the documentation or conflating the issue I'm seeing with
the topic of special characters?

Ashley Ryan