I wonder if you might not get better performance in a case like this if you
were ok taking your index off line, disabling merges, performing deletions
and only then enabling merges? This could be done on a copy of the index if
updates can be turned off or held in a queue, so that queries could still
be served during the maintenance.

However it's largely a theoretical question, since it seems everything
worked ok for you in the end.