So -- you update a single document and the call to updateDocument
takes 3 minutes? Or you update a single document and call commit() and
that takes 3 minutes? Or -- you update 100000 documents and call
commit() and that takes 3 minutes? We can't help you with the level of
detail you've provided. As far as buffered memory vs main memory it's
not clear what you're asking. There is a control for the buffer size
used by IndexWriter to decide when to flush a segment - maybe that's
what you're after? Look in IndexWriterConfig for it.