Yes, this changed in 8.x:
 - 8.0 moved the terms index off-heap for non-PK fields with
MMapDirectory. https://github.com/apache/lucene/issues/9681
 - Then in 8.6 the FST was moved off-heap all the time.
https://github.com/apache/lucene/issues/10297

More generally, there's a few files that are no longer loaded in heap
in 8.x. It should be possible to load them back in heap by doing
something like that (beware, I did not actually test this code):

class MyHeapDirectory extends FilterDirectory {

  MyHeapDirectory(Directory in) {
    super(in);
  }

  @Override
  public IndexInput openInput(String name, IOContext context) throws
IOException {
    if (context.load == false) {
      return super.openInput(name, context);
    } else {
      try (IndexInput in = super.openInput(name, context)) {
        byte[] bytes = new byte[Math.toIntExact(in.length())];
        in.readBytes(bytes, bytes.length);
        ByteBuffer bb =
ByteBuffer.wrap(bytes).order(ByteOrder.LITTLE_ENDIAN).asReadOnlyBuffer();
        return new ByteBuffersIndexInput(new
ByteBuffersDataInput(Collections.singletonList(bb)),
"ByteBuffersIndexInput(" + name + ")");

On Tue, Jun 6, 2023 at 3:41 PM Rahul Goswami <rahul196...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Adrien. Is this behavior of FST something that has changed in Lucene
> 8.x (from 7.x)?
> Also, is the terms index not loaded into memory anymore in 8.x?
>
> To your point on MMapDirectoryFactory, it is much faster as you
> anticipated, but the indexes commonly being >1 TB makes the Windows machine
> freeze to a point I sometimes can't even connect to the VM.
> SimpleFSDirectory works well for us from that standpoint.
>
> To add, both NIOFS and SimpleFS have similar indexing benchmarks on
> Windows. I understand it is because of the Java bug which synchronizes
> internally in the native call for NIOFs.
>
> -Rahul
>
> On Tue, Jun 6, 2023 at 9:32 AM Adrien Grand <jpou...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > +Alan Woodward helped me better understand what is going on here.
> > BufferedIndexInput (used by NIOFSDirectory and SimpleFSDirectory)
> > doesn't play well with the fact that the FST reads bytes backwards:
> > every call to readByte() triggers a refill of 1kB because it wants to
> > read the byte that is just before what the buffer contains.
> >
> > On Tue, Jun 6, 2023 at 2:07 PM Adrien Grand <jpou...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > My best guess based on your description of the issue is that
> > > SimpleFSDirectory doesn't like the fact that the terms index now reads
> > > data directly from the directory instead of loading the terms index in
> > > heap. Would you be able to run the same benchmark with MMapDirectory
> > > to check if it addresses the regression?

> > of
> > on
> > > >

> > https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1q2DPNTYQEU6fi3NeXIKJhaoq3KPnms0h?usp=sharing

> > Lucene