Regarding closing JDBC resources when exceptions happen...

I like to have one close in the 'finally' block, but execute only when
the reference isn't null.  (Yes, that's evil -- but JDBC's
SQLException is evil.)

What I'd like to do is to add any 'close()' SQLException to the
exception that may have triggered the 'finally' block.  But that's not
easy.  Not standard Java either:  Java supports "caused by", but not
collections of exceptions.  :-[