I have a correction to the item I brought up below. It is likely that I was
causing the wrong lib.so file to be loaded. After a bit more playing about I
was able to make that problem go away.

Here it is now, my real issue:

When I initialize USB I print the responses, and alongside them I get these
error/low level debug messages:
   UsbServices API Version: 1.0.0
   UsbServices Impl. Version: 1.0.1
[default](0) JavaxUsbChecks.h.debug_exception[77] !! JNI Exception : file
(JavaxUsbPipeRequest.c) function (pipe_request) line (41)

[default](0) JavaxUsbChecks.h.debug_exception[78] !!!!! Failure at :
(*env)->GetMethodID(env,LinuxPipeRequest,"setUrbAddress","(J)V")