Yep that is by far the easiest thing to do.

Actually getting mouse events through USB using javax.usb will be much more
work.  You'll need to kick the existing HID driver off the mouse (so you
can't use it as a normal system mouse anymore).  Then claim it and start
parsing its input reports which are in HID format.  The mouse buttons are
part of each report.  I'm not completely sure, as I haven't checked the HID
spec, but I believe that mice are not standardized, as HID devices can
generically specify their input format so the mouse manufacturer can just
set up the mouse HID Report Descriptor to specify how it will report mouse
movement and buttons.  So you would either need to write code to
specifically parse your device report format, or actually write a HID parser
(you don't want to do that).  If you have only one mouse (or one type of
mouse) then you can just easily figure out what its input report layout is
and code directly to that.

But again as Oscar said - getting a USB to RS232 converter is by far the
easiest thing to do, assuming this is a small scale personal effort.
Converters are super cheap these days; probably less than the mouse you're
connecting.